What to read?

Hi guys,

I'd like to discover new authors, or styles (english books please).
Maybe it would be good to share our good / bad reading experience.

By the way, have somebody read "Freakconomics" by Steven-D Levitt, Stephen Dubner ? I saw it on bookshelves but was not sure if it is worth it.

Otherwise, the best book I read last year was:
1. Questions and Answers - Vikas Swarup -> you might know it under Slumdog millionaire. Best ever book.
Followed by:
2. P.S I love you - Cecilia Ahern -> long but worth to read. The movie exist.
3. The lucky one - Nicolqs Sparks -> not too bad but not too good either.

Your turn

Safia

Hi guys,

I'd like to discover new authors, or styles (english books please).
Maybe it would be good to share our good / bad reading experience.

By the way, have somebody read "Freakconomics" by Steven-D Levitt, Stephen Dubner ? I saw it on bookshelves but was not sure if it is worth it.

Otherwise, the best book I read last year was:
1. Questions and Answers - Vikas Swarup -> you might know it under Slumdog millionaire. Best ever book.
Followed by:
3. The lucky one - Nicolqs Sparks -> not too bad but not too good either.

Your turn

Safia

Hi you,

Good idea!

I've juste ended up readind " What would google do ? " by Jeff jarvis ( must admitt i read it in french )
I found it very interesting ... it deals with the google's expansion and strategy
I will connect later to put more details.... i'm not at home

kiss

Hi you,

Good idea!

I've juste ended up readind " What would google do ? " by Jeff jarvis ( must admitt i read it in french )
I found it very interesting ... it deals with the google's expansion and strategy
I will connect later to put more details.... i'm not at home

kiss

It sounds interesting. Please post here the details :), I am looking forward to it.

Great post!!

I began it, but somehow I wasn't really into it and didn't finish it, despite the fact that I absolutely loved the movie. But you make it sound like a great book... I might continue my reading then.

I MUST read that!! The movie was awesome!! It was sooo touching!! ♥
How was the book? Did you watch the movie? Do you prefer the book?

Anyway. Right now I'm reading "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay. I don't know if you heard about the Tv-show Dexter... The series is based on that book and since I'm a huge fan of Dexter I really wanted to read that book. So far, it's quite good, and the general story-line is the same as the show's story.
So it's about Dexter, a forensic blood spatter pattern analyst who works for the Police, but he is also a serial killer who only kills others murderers! It might sound weird, and a bit crazy, but it's actually really good!

I'm also reading "The Catcher in the Rye" by Salinger for my english class, at school. I already read it a few years ago, in french, but I realised that I didn't fully understood it back then (which is normal, as I was only 14 and it was published as an adults' book). It's actually a classic! It's really famous in the States and it's a best-seller.
It is about Holden Caulfield's experiences in New York, after he've been kicked out Pencey Prep, his school. It deals with a lot of subjects, such as rebellion, sexuality, adolescence...
But frankly, I hate it!! I mean, usually I love antiheroes, like Dexter that I mentionned earlier (even if he is a serial killer!). But Holden is not a likeable character for me!

Finally, I also started "Skeleton Crew" by Stephen King. It contains short stories, and it was published more than 20 years ago, but I just came across it. Well, I have nothing to say about it, it's the usual King's work : just great!

I must admit that I read a lot, in english and in french, so it's really good to have a board to speak about our current english reading.
That's it for now! ^^

Great post!!

I MUST read that!! The movie was awesome!! It was sooo touching!! ♥
How was the book? Did you watch the movie? Do you prefer the book?

Q&A (or slumdog millionair) is a fantastic book. Believe me it is really worth to continue reading it. I was so absorbed by the book that I finished it quickly... I liked the movie and too times more the book.

I usually read books from which I liked movies. I loved PS I love you, I was also touched by the idea of a letter per month... The book is quite thick, so much more things were going on but well a bit long for my test. So, at the end of it, I did not feel the same as for slumdog M...

I am currently reading "The reader" . It is a German book, written by Bernhard Schlink. It is showing from a different perspective the criminal of the war. A young boy having to see after a decade his former lover as she defends herself in a war-crime trial. I saw again the movie first (starring Kate Winslet). I would not recommend the book, unless you like monologues... I almost reach the end which would free me for another book :D

I am also reading "The omnivore's dilemma" from Michael Pollan. It is about eating behaviour. He traces four meals back to their origin. The book is really three in one: The first section discusses industrial farming; the second, organic food, both as big business and on a relatively small farm; and the third, what it is like to hunt and gather food for oneself.

Guess what... I am also going to read a Dexter book ! I love the series. I am having "Dexter in the Dark", Jeff Lindsay. I am looking forward too... (that is the motivation to finish the reader)

i have to say- some of the best english novels are those which have been written many years ago-
Wuthering heights and jane eyre are great written by the bronte sisters- i am sure you will enjoy them very much!