Why do many French people come across as rude and arrogant?

Hi, i'm a native french woman and i can tell you that i feel this impression, particulary since i'm wearing hijeb (islamic headscarf). My people is so arogant because they take a rest on there national way of life. The most of french people is uncultivated, racists and narrow minded but doesn't feel bad because of it. Nicolas Sarkozy found a great sentence: "La France, tu l'aimes ou tu la quittes" = "France, love it or leave it", that's a great thinker our president, isn't it? ;)

Racism starts when you generalize, that's exactly what you do especially when it's not true...

If some French people are racists it's that some sons of France don't want to be part of the national community. I can understand them, we are not born as racist there are reasons behind that.

And I hope that when you say French are uncultivated you are joking or tell me a people more cultivated. Maroccan people with 50% of them who can't read ? :) That's the stupiest thing I ever read on this forum.

Racism starts when you generalize, that's exactly what you do especially when it's not true...

If some French people are racists it's that some sons of France don't want to be part of the national community. You are a good exemple of that. I can understand them, we are not born as racist.

And I hope that when you say French are uncultivated you are joking or tell me a people more cultivated. Maroccan people with 50% of them who can't read ? :) That's the stupiest thing I ever read on this forum.

What? Am I a good example of desintegration because of my headscarf or because I not to arrogant to tell my people is too arrogant? I'm a FRENCH NATIVE, so why would I be desintegrated? I'm from a law social class, when I say (or maybe I should have said, sorry) that mostly people are uncultivated, i know what i'm talking about mister!

In France, a one who is Muslim and/or dark skin is considered as an inferior person, is it normal? i don't think so, but i'm living here this reality, even if it's hard to try imagine it. How to feel being part of the national communauty when since you're a child everybody considered you as a foreign, even if you've never leave France? Fortunately, everybody is not like that, but it's a fact we can deny

What? Am I a good example of desintegration because of my headscarf or because I not to arrogant to tell my people is too arrogant? I'm a FRENCH NATIVE, so why would I be desintegrated? I'm from a law social class, when I say (or maybe I should have said, sorry) that mostly people are uncultivated, i know about what i'm talking about mister!

In France, a one who is Muslim and/or dark skin is considered as an inferior person, is it normal? i don'y think so, but i'm living here this reality, even if it's hard to try imagine it. How to feel being part of the national communauty when since you're a child everybody considered you as a foreign, even if you've never leave France? Fortunately, everybody is not like that, but it's a fact we can deny

Don't change my words...
You are a good exemple of that because you are a son of France who don't like his country and insult his inhabitants.

Another false stereotype, muslim and black are considered inferior in France? We went to the same schools, we have access to the same health/social system and to the same jobs. So yes I deny it !

....Another false stereotype, muslim and black are considered inferior in France? We went to the same schools, we have access to the same health/social system and to the same jobs. So yes I deny it !

Wait. Please. Before you deny it. I like to know: What is the ratio of the "ethnicity" of the faculties members and staff of the schools and hospitals you spoke of?. Thank you.

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes." —Mark Twain

Wait. Please. Before you deny it. I like to know: What is the ratio of the "ethnicity" of the faculties members and staff of the schools and hospitals you spoke of?. Thank you.

That's too easy to always explain everything by saying Racism ! Racism ! Racism !

The main issue comes from the English communautarist social system imported in France during the past 40 years which create the actual mess. Our country always had an assimilationist system.
It created a real lack of social mixicity, some cities and schools have 70% of students having foreigners parents. Their results are quite poor and could be improved a lot by forcing mixicity.

Another explanation is the education. Look at new French (or other countries) citizens who come from Asia, the ratio of them doing high-end studies is way higher than what they are as citizen. Their parents teach them to work hard and not to complain all the time about racism.

So on of my colleagues won a trip to France. She recently got back and said, that the French attitude really put her off of ever moving to that part of the world, as she is under the impression, that even xenophobic South Africans are better than the French.
I have family in France and ended up in France..... and I couldn't understand why the French's attitude sucked so much..... I mean, it is not like they have so much to be proud of: their power is lost, they make a terrible cars, they smoke like maniacs.... and yet they think the world revolves around them.

So, is this a common perception out there? or are they just assholes to people from other countries?

Educate me. Please.
french people really believe that all the world is admiring them because of their culture the fine kitchen and their way of living they also believe they are the best lovers in the world and many other stupid things...the main reason is that they're still living in the past where they used to have an influence in the world reminding this lost power they used to have and cant get out of it like autist living and keeping it real in their mind as you see if you ever live in france they make proud of any insignifant thing

french people really believe that all the world is admiring them because of their culture the fine kitchen and their way of living they also believe they are the best lovers in the world and many other stupid things...the main reason is that they're still living in the past where they used to have an influence in the world reminding this lost power they used to have and cant get out of it like autist living and keeping it real in their mind as you see if you ever live in france they make proud of any insignifant thing

Not the best lover, but in France we have the best kiss " the french kiss" :love:

That's too easy to always explain everything by saying Racism ! Racism ! Racism !.

Sir, you may want to check the dictionary on "racism"; but I am certain that it means subscribing a personality trait to a person based solely on their ethnicity/"race".
Obviously, there're people who play the "race-card", and some do it more often than they should. Just because you find example of bigotry and ignorance on both sides of the fence doesn't mean you get to make those kind of false blanket ramarks.

It really depends on the place you go to. Of course in big cities people are often gloomy and unpleasant but it is definitely not the case for in smaller towns where people are maybe less in a hurry...

I live in the South of France so I know what I'm talking about.

But I think it's very funny and interesting the way an entire nation can be stigmatized because of a handful of cranky people.

Hi guys and thank you for your comments.... Sadly around here, the idea the French people are an arrogant people is persistent..... Although, I do not like to generalize. I have to say that I met some pretty nasty French people in France. I am sorry to believe that there is probably some truth in the accusation.
I live is US and moving soon to Morocco.

You live in US, and there are some people in US that are anti-french, mainly for political reasons (they don't like the fact that they helped us for WWII and that france said no to war in Iraq, among many other things). So these people who are anti-french for these reasons will do all their possible to criticize french people.

In England, where I've been living for a few months, french people are really welcomed and appreciated, the british are curious about us and very friendly.

Thank you all for your comments. They were all very interesting to read. However, my topic isn't meant to offend or insult the French or French culture. But to inform and educate.
Come on, your topic is full of racist crap, don't talk about informing and educating. Those who are racist against french people won't change their mind, I know you won't so I will not even try to convince you, and those who think that french people are not worse than others will not change their mind neither.

Your topic is useless.

its a cultural thing.
French people have this aristocratic way of viewing things/people. They have standards (and of course they are above them) by which they judge everyone else.

and i wouldnt say that anglophones hate them..thats not true. french canadians dont like them that much (the general public, not the media). Americans in general think they have a superiority syndrom and that they need to get off their high horses. (im not sure how they are perceived in europe)

I think they are often racist, judgmental in a very hurtful way, and are soo self centered.

ps: by french people i mean, the white french. i may be wrong, but thats my opinion
and of course by saying this, you are not racist, the racists are those upon wich you are making generalities based on the colour of their skin. Haha.

SynthaxError

Un chleuh dans la kasbah
VIB
So on of my colleagues won a trip to France. She recently got back and said, that the French attitude really put her off of ever moving to that part of the world, as she is under the impression, that even xenophobic South Africans are better than the French.
I have family in France and ended up in France..... and I couldn't understand why the French's attitude sucked so much..... I mean, it is not like they have so much to be proud of: their power is lost, they make a terrible cars, they smoke like maniacs.... and yet they think the world revolves around them.

So, is this a common perception out there? or are they just assholes to people from other countries?

Educate me. Please.

You are saying that French people are thinking that the world revolves around them and you live USA... a country that is doing the policeman in the world. And you talk about rude and arrogant ? ahahaha

Go to sleep dude, and sweeps outside your door

And you know what ?
I'm not even french. Moroccan only.

Don't have to speak some other foreign langage to estimate that i could be better than them.

Well, all this was an exercise for me, in order to practice my albion tongue.

ur talking for nothing and just for proving that ur a highly-educated moroccan?...It's an english board over here so don't tell people to speak french when they can't do. idiot

Looks like we can find some arrogant ***holes everywhere in the world,not only in France lol

ur talking for nothing and just for proving that ur a highly-educated moroccan?...It's an english board over here so don't tell people to speak french when they can't do. idiot

Looks like we can find some arrogant ***holes everywhere in the world,not only in France lol

I ain't highly educated none by morocco nor france nor any stupid country, don't be that ashamed, man.

Je fais ce que je veux, vas y qu'est ce qu'il y a ? :D

I'm the arrogance made man on this earth, you're so far than the real fact.

myousra

swim/bike/run

hey hey
calm down buddy
most people on the english board do speak french just so you know
he was making his point, you may agree or disagree but keep it cool
surtout en ce temps de 3wachar!!!

Dear sword.
As a french woman myself I also have a point of view on what people from most countries might think of us french. The question your asking is very interesting but i must say that I think you seeing the subject mostly wrong.
Just because you don't understand people, you can't judge them on stereotypes. Our power might be lost and our cars might be terrible as you said. But I find it funny that as an American you said that we think that the world revolves around us ...
As for the smoking part yes we do smoke and maybe it's a bad habit for our health but aren't most Americans eating so much it becomes a danger to their health too ?

Excuse me if I'm rude (don't forget that I'm french ;) ) My points may are simple here, but it's just to show you that everything depends on the perspective you take. You can't criticize something you don't know just based on anger and ignorance. We have so many things to be proud of in France, such as our history, our food, our social protection. We also have so many things we're not proud of but it depends on every one's point of you. I guess it is the same in your country.
I'm currently living in the US and very interested in the differences between our two cultures.

Ever since I came here I saw a big difference. You are very opened to talk to every people that cross your way. And I really admire that. The cashiers asks me how I am doing and mean it most of the time. You talk to people on the subway ... I have to admit that have trouble getting used to it. It is just not in our habits to reveal ourselves to strangers we just met.

As Hajar Billard, just try to get to know us and you might be surprised. But I also agree with Hopkins. Even if I don't think french are all morons, they are less open minded and more stuck on their own troubles. So for us, when someone you don't know asks you how you are feeling you don't feel like pouring your life on him ...

It's just my own opinion but i thought i could add a French perspective to this discussion.
Hope this helped you understand us a little bit better.

People who really know french people don't say that they are rude or arrogant, except some people like Pogoss who are pissed off because of events of the past (the humiliation of colonization not getting swallowed yet).

It's just that people tend to mix parisians ant the rest of french people.

Also I noticed that there is a kind of propaganda against french people on the internet coming from guys of morrocan and algerian descent. They will take this well known reputation and make a big deal of it while there are actualy so many people in the world who love France and its people.

(and I'm not saying that most french of morrocan or algerian descent despise france)

Educate me. Please.

It's a stereotype perpetuated by the media and to some extent a self perceived "superiority". I've only experienced it in Paris and I can understand it to some extent as the city is always filled with tourists and I can imagine that it becomes annoying having tourists around 24/7.

I agree with Santeria.
This debate is kind of funny and weird at the same time.
When you think a bit deeper about it, french and americans are in the same state of mind. They both think they rule the world and they are the pionneer of civilization. :D

compteblad

PLD (Peace, Love and Diversity)
come to Belgium : it s Worth! :rolleyes:

Educate me. Please.

Hi everyone,

I am French,, have studies cross-cultural communication and have lived in several different countries in the world. Therefore I've been asking myself a lot the question you're raising here.

By travelling around, I have noticed that some people of some countries were more easily approachable than others and are instantly friendly with me (in Australia, the UK, Brazil, Argentina, Morocco, Spain, Portugal, Romania, Vietnam for example), while others seemed colder at first sight (in Ukraine, Germany, Lithuania, Bolivia or some part of Chile for example).

However I've learnt this doesn't mean these people are less friendly on the long run. In fact, in many occasions, I actually managed to create deeper bonds with them than with people who had been instantly very friendly and open, but kept things on a superficial level and didn't truly care about me.

For some very sociable and open countries, it is easy for tourists to "bond" with people because you get there and they're smiling and asking you how you're going and then you're friends with them and all is well. There's no deep effort of understanding or adaptation to be made on your part, and oftentimes they're adapting to you.

However when you go to countries that have a fundamentally different approach to social relationships, you need to do your homework (which is what Sword is trying to do here). When you learn how to approach French people the right way (and to address the RIGHT TYPE of people), you'll notice French people can be actually very nice people. France is an old country and a complex society, so I can't give you a full analysis of French culture on one forum post, but here are a few things to keep in mind:

1) Paris is NOT like the rest of France. I was born and raised in Paris and I can tell you that the majority of people there come from other regions of France and have come here for work because they couldn't get the same opportunities in their hometown. A lot of them get stressed but the pace of the capital, have to commute 2h a day, miss home and are pressured at work. As a result, they look unhappy in the subway. Other people see their unhappy face and if they weren't already unhappy, get even unhappier because moods are contagious. This starts a cycle of negative emotions further fueled by pressure at work, high cost of living etc.

As a result, many Parisians don't feel a sense of belonging to that city, and when millions of tourists arrive every year, they don't really feel like acting like a guide, quite the opposite. Tourists arrive and see as a dream place a city which for many Parisians means constant pressure and daily commuting nightmare. There's a dichotomy which many time creates an unfriendly experience.