Why do many French people come across as rude and arrogant?

In addition, many tourists do not even try start the conversation with a few words of French ("excusez-moi, je ne parle pas français" or something) and speak directly in English. For many of us French, this is almost perceived as an insult because our country has a history of fighting against americanization (even though yes, we're pretty happy you saved our ass during our wars). By talking with many people who've been to Paris, I've observed that these few introductory words can really make a difference.

A surprisingly high number of people who've told me they've "visited" France actually have only been to Paris a few days to see a few monuments and have had a few superficial interactions with overworked, tired and stressed workers. And then they make up their minds about French people (and then they meet ME and say, "oh actually French people can be pretty cool!" ^^).

However I completely acknowledge the fact that we're already deep down in the vicious circle and many Parisians aren't making any effort anymore, and they SHOULD.

2) French people tend to build connection through sarcasm. It's like they're tickling you and seeing if you're going to laugh or freak out. It's just our humor, it's an unspoken way of saying "I'm giving you an opportunity to act as if we were already friends, by letting you laugh at my sarcasm like you would from any of your friends. I'm attempting to eliminate the distance between us." Many people perceive that as arrogant because they don't understand it. The same thing goes for seemingly megalomaniac statements ("French people are the best in the world"). Just look at how critical French people are of their own country (even on this forum thread) and you'll understand that in 95% of cases, these statements are not to be taken seriously.

3) The French society is very united (very little use of dialects, no really independent regions, strong principles of universalism that in theory people cherish), and very divided at the same time. We are not really taught to love our own country and doing so is perceived as chauvinist. We are very critical and therefore we criticize those around us, who in turn critisize us and we critisize them even more. We are also in the middle of an "identity crisis" as they call it in French media. We are wondering what being French means, when 5,000 of our own citizens take arms to go fight against their own country in the name of a terrorist organization. Therefore a lot of French people are criticizing France and perpetuating the idea that French people are assholes.

4) I would advise you to go and meet French people who think "out of the box" (entrepreneurs, artists, French people living abroad, people involved in social projects etc.). You'll see that because we are raised with such a "box" mentality in France, those who actually take the step to get out of the box develop amazing ways of thinking, fueled by the all-mighty French cartesianism which drives them to constantly question their own opinions and the ones of others around them, to constantly refine their thinking and their approach to life.

You have to scratch the surface and unfortunately, it can't be done fully on a forum thread. You have to meet more French people from different segments of our societ and keep trying looking at things with a fresher eye every time you learn something about the French culture. Yes, it would probably be nicer if you could just arrive there and all is pink and all is great, but it's not. I'm not going to make a chauvinist list of all the great things France has to offer in spite of all its obvious flaws, but by looking properly you'll realize that "where there's a lot of very bad, there's also a lot of very good".

Mais non, c'est juste que vous avez un fort sentiment d'infériorité, voila tout : vous ne devriez avoir nul besoin de vous lamenter dans la langue de la perfide Albion pour l'admettre...quand à le reconnaitre...la FRANChise étant lucidité et prévoyance, cet effort n'est point attendu.

What a great french diplomat I do :D

Copy-paste...;-)

Lol... My English also sucks but French are constantly feel threatened 'cause they can not speak English at all!!:timide:
Not even the good learners of the English launguage...

That's the reason about their paranoiac mania for their language!! ;-)
Well I thing the middle finger swits better on you...
You 're French, and French people are usually much more angry-hungry for...fingers etc!! ;-)

A typical French movie is a creation with a script full of sickness...

Some fucking french shits are proud only of their psychos, their criminals, their sexual pervertion (pedophily, incest etc)
& not only in their most movies, which are full of psychopaths, pedophiles & whatever has to do with their strange instics
their alcoholics, their suicides, their murders & their... burgers!!!

France: the hard & depressive life of some dirty paranoiac retard perverts...

The most french people, men & women, are some rude retards, pedos & homosexuals out of closet or closeted...
So, ehh, why did they oppose to the gay marriage??

They speak about family, but families in France are so brothel as fuck!!!
They only cheat each other to have a standard relation (if they...haha)...

Straight/gay/lesbian cheating, child raping, child abuse & pedophilia is so usual & important for a typical french family (!!)...
They also swear pedophiles, but they 're so full of those...

France has not even any laws for child physical abuse...
Europe threated to punish them, but they are so chickenshits...

So much fucking sadism which is considered as something ''normal!''!
Sick, depressed and filthy...

I'm just wonder about those hysterics who scream for their anti-gay propaganda, but it's very likely they are probably/obviously closeted gays/lesbians...;-)

Is this a paranoia???
Yeah, for sure...

I do not really know where to start first...

I consider Frensh one of the most pathetic, abnormal, depressive, psychotic, obnoxious & hypocritic people around the world. And this a fact!!

Only Spain competes England, USA & France for which nation is the most ''gay'' or which country has the most gay people!!

It is well-known that Spain has one of the most progressive & liberal laws for the protection of gays, even from USA, and France was the first country worldwide who decriminalized homosexuality in 1789!!!
May I remember some previous laws about sexual relations between children??

For those, homosexuality & pedophilia is everywhere!!

Youtube, TV & frence cinema have filled with gay/lesbian series & movies, with perverts, pedos etc etc!!
AND THIS IS REALLY RIDICULOUS!!