Working in London

Salem alikom,

I am a French student and currently looking for a placement in the UK. I had a discussion with one of my teachers yesterday who told me that finding a placement will be really hard for me not only because of the economic crisis and because of the duration of the internship (6 weeks beginning in April 2009) but also because of my looks (I am quite tanned etc, you know i just look Moroccan). I would like to have your opinion on that.

I guess some of you work in London and what i really wish for is finding a work placement there. What my teacher told me quite discouraged me, I must say I had my baccalauréat and my DEUG with honours (French diploma given after 2 years in University) but she insisted on the fact that even if it really makes her angry too the fact is that my origin will probably prevail on my personnality/qualifications.

I decided to look for Moroccan companies in London too but the fact is that I can speak only "darija" so I don't know what should I do.

Any kind of advice, opinion or else would be very much appreciated!
;)

the best thing to do is go there and get rolled at the university cause two years is a bit not sufficient you gotta aim the bachelor at least then it will be ok for racism there is not any racism or just a bit you can neglect if you wanna go go ahead

Hello Elsam,
I don't really get your point ...The colour of your skin is not that important especially in UK.
You mustn't be negative of your future. If you are successfull in your studies you will get a job.
First of all : You need to write a CV and a good one.
You need to know what do you want to do.
It is difficult to advise you if you don't tell us which company you would like to work with ?
Don't hesitate to contact me

Good luck
abdelmajid
London

sboumy

Saadou
In the UK you can be Black, yellow, orange etc... and still get a good job. Don't worry about your damn teacher he is probably an arsehole. I got a Phd in Psychology in Toulouse ( doctorat) and could not find a job in France ( after looking for one over two year !!!!) in the other hand went to the UK and managed to get a good job within 3 months, and I am Moroccan.

Bomchikwaw

Dr Love et Blabla
I am living in London since 1 month, and I've noticed that England (specially London) is a country which gives importance to your skills and qualities, not to your looking or origin.
For example, women wearing scarf work within banks, schools... and that's what I appreciate here... no matter what you wear or where you come from just be brilliant and doors are open to you.

So don't worry about your skin's color... just prove that you are a good ''element''

good luck ;)

I am living in London since 1 month, and I've noticed that England (specially London) is a country which gives importance to your skills and qualities, not to your looking or origin.
For example, women wearing scarf work within banks, schools... and that's what I appreciate here... no matter what you wear or where you come from just be brilliant and doors are open to you.

So don't worry about your skin's color... just prove that you are a good ''element''

good luck ;)
that's good news iam very proud of the results of the investigation you gave us but still do you talk about scarves or veils i cannot get you but i know that muslims in general do not find lots of problems there nevertheless you cannot deny miss that the standard of living is very high this resuls in the abilities to save up are next null or next to impossible iam right aren't i?