Your Moroccan Hometown!

Morocco has a lot of secrets to offer and could occupy an inquisitive mind for a long time, perhaps even a lifetime or more. When we go back to Morocco on vacation, we often spend our time socializing with family and friends, but rarely do we take out the time to explore the history and culture of our birthplace. If people did, they would feel less stressed about visiting, especially since, under current circumstances, a trip back home is more exhausting than restful. Moroccan-Americans or Moroccans Residing in America seem to be treated with unsual curiosity and besieged by extra demands. It's as if we have so much to live up to. To go back on a visit is a lot of work--physical and emotional work. Some holiday, right?

Whenever I visit my hometown, I make sure to take some time out to explore the city and revisit sites that interest me. It is best to do this alone, or in the company of an old timer, a ouel el blad who knows the intimate details of the area that interests you. Most of these old timers are dying out by now, but some are still alive. Our oral history and folk lore (not the touristy stuff) is vanishing fast, and I just pray that someone is recording it before it is too late. I know of a coffee table book series that tries to capture our cities' old traditions, but it is best to visit armed with a good history book and hear local anecdotes.

If you visit Morocco with the mind of an historian or archeologist, your visit may become richer and less stressful. I wish people did this more often. You don't have to read a lot; a good dose of curiosity and the willingness to get away from adoring relatives and friends is all you need. A camera helps. And if you do, and want to share (briefly) some of the things that fascinate you about your own town or city, please drop us a note.