Accepted then rejected from a canadian university

Dear brothers and sisters,

If someone could give me some advise about my situation, I would really appreciate it.

OK, I am a Moroccan male,22 years old, I am currently doing my last year of my bachelor's degree (licence fondamentale en économie et gestion) at Université Mohammed V Souissi. A month ago, I applied for a Master of Arts in Economics at University of Regina, so far so good. A week ago, I received an email from the department of economics informing me that I've been recommended for admission and stating that my acceptance won't be official until it is approved by the Faculty of Graduate Studies of the University of Regina, and I was told that I need to wait a week until the Faculty of Graduate Studies do its final checking and get everything in order and then issue me a formal acceptance letter.

However, 4 days after receiving this email, I received a second email from the same person who informed me that I have been recommended for admission telling me that the Faculty of Graduate Studies has informed them that they will not accept me because I do not meet their minimum requirements, he told me that they converted my grade (12.75/20) to a grade point average (GPA) and it didn't meet their minimum required GPA which 3.0

I do not know why they said that as I have a grade of 12.75 in my first two years (Diplôme d'études universitaires générales) and their website states that applicants from Morocco must have at least 12/20 in order to meet the minimum requirement.

What confuses me the most actually is the application procedure they have on their website. It states that normally, the concerned department (which in my case, the department of economics) checks all the documents of the applicant and convert their grade to a GPA and then decide whether to recommend the applicant for admission or not, and that the Faculty of Graduate Studies does nothing but check if all the received documents are official (in case some is not, they will not issue you the official acceptance letter until you send the official document) and if the grade of the applicant meet their minimum requirement.
So, basically, if I was recommended for admission that means that the department has already converted my grade to GPA and it was high enough, otherwise, they wouldn't have recommended me for admission.

I told this to the person who sent me this two emails and I even wrote to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and they told me that there is nothing they can do and that they will have to reject me ??
Today, I sent an email to the Dean explaining my situation but I didn't get a response from him yet.

Please, what do you think I should do ?

Thank you very much

Hey masplong, it may not seem like it, but they are saving you a world of trouble.
This is just another example of the incompetence of Canadian institutions.
Why pay ten times the normal tuition (as a Moroccan student) for a sub-par education in an obviously not very organized establishment, when you could do the same for a fraction of the fee in Europe?

Other than this little thought, I am afraid I can't do much to help you. Maybe you should contact other universities and try to get the Dean on the phone. Best of luck to you

Hi Masplong.
Can you post their website links with their minimum required GPA.
Some faculty department have trouble with converting the european or maghrebine grade.

But to be admitted in Master program, some universities can reject you admission since your bachelor degree in Morroco (12 + 3 years) is not equivalent to the canadian one (12+1+3.5).
If you can explain more, We can help you by calling the Faculty of Graduate studies just give me a contacts names and your informations by private message.
Good luck

Hi,

Thank you both babtoche and coolqc for your responses.

Apparently, contacting the dean was the right thing to do, I've just received an email from the department informing me that they have checked my documents again and recalculated my GPA and it was acceptable :)

They said that they will issue me the letter of acceptance next week.

Thank you all

Good afternoon Masplong,

We are happy to see that everything is sunning smoothly !

Would you please, as soon as you'll be established in Regina and start you daily life n this city to update us about life in general in this area (whenever you can of course) ?

Thanks a lot and good luck!

Hi Kabbi,

Well yeah why not, however I am not sure yet whether I'll be going to Regina or somewhere else as I am still waiting for a response from University Of Toronto which is obviously a more reputable university than the one of Regina. Plus, I would love to live in a big city like Toronto rather than a midsized one.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated.
Thank you and good luck to you too.

Hello Masplong,

As in your topic you were mentioning University of Regina, I was interested to know how is life there from a student point of view, and was also thinking, as well, to put you in contact with a friend of mine, who is already living there (in the eventuality you need help).

It's uncommon to have stories of Moroccan immigration from Saskatchewan, yet it's a province where job prospects and quality of life are very promising.

However we wish you good luck in Toronto.

Kabi