Freaking out about moving back to Morocco!

Hey all,

I am moving back to Morocco very soon and I am very worried about everyday life there. Especially my social life! People there, I am told, are very different and have somewhat limited perceptions of things and life in general. We are also used here to a certain degree of personal freedom and we might feel frustrated with the so called Swab and Nifa9 Ijtima3i of Morocco. I am also told that career wise...................................not the work environment that would be named healthy and motivating. Anyone has a brighter view of the subject?? Some white lies wont hurt at this point :) JK!!

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
Hey all,

I am moving back to Morocco very soon and I am very worried about everyday life there. Especially my social life! People there, I am told, are very different and have somewhat limited perceptions of things and life in general. We are also used here to a certain degree of personal freedom and we might feel frustrated with the so called Swab and Nifa9 Ijtima3i of Morocco. I am also told that career wise...................................not the work environment that would be named healthy and motivating. Anyone has a brighter view of the subject?? Some white lies wont hurt at this point :) JK!!

Where do you live ?

I don't think we can tell you about how your life is going to be in Morrocco.
It depends on the economic et social environnent you have there.

I don't think you have to be worried about anything, You can find very smart and clever people in morrocco just like you can find narrowminded and ignorant people where you live now ;) And the Material side of life is also available in morrocco !
We need more informations to help you answering your questions, which city are you going to live in ? Will you be working ? where ? ...

Hey Pureminded, thanks for your reply. I live in NJ and planning to live and work in Rabat. we are from Casa but family moved from there and I would prefer to live with them ( main reason why I am moving back) I am told only weird stories about those narrow minded and full of issues people in Morocco so I am freaking out since am very social and can only fully connect with link minded people living the same experience which I think would make the transition overall more fun :)

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
I understand that you are worried, but Rabat is quite a modern city where everything you need is available.

I don't know what you heard about morrocan people, but forget it all and go have your own opinion. Cliches are kinda useless. I'm sure you are going to like that experience, and especially the people.

And look at the good points, Morrocco is an emerging country full of opportunities !

what's your job ?

I am mainly concerned about people rather than opportunities ( rze9 mn 3end lah). I am still finishing up my degree in Clinical psychology but since it needs forever to be done properly ( over 6 years) I thought of studying online and living with family and getting a translation job till I get my degree and hopefully the economic crisis here in the US would ease up by then.What freaks me out the most is the drama of social interactions, especially at work... here we barely take shit from anyone.... it would be hard to take it in your home country ! :(

It's people like you who worry me the most. People with preconceived ideas about this country and its people, prejudices that date back to a good decade or two.

> People there, I am told, are very different and have somewhat limited perceptions of things and life in general

People everywhere have different perceptions of things. That's what makes people different. They have their own subjective perceptions of things. If you expect from other people to have the same perception(s) of life as yours, you are being irrational. I'm aware the word "limited" is key here, but it's subjective. What you rate "limited" could be nothing but a different moderate prospect of life, one that is not being forced onto you (not within this country, at least).

> We are also used here to a certain degree of personal freedom

So do we, here. Admittedly, not the exact same set of freedoms, as I already stated that things, indeed, are (as they naturally should be) different around here. We value our own personal freedom, and we enjoy it, so will you, whichever way you fancy.

> and we might feel frustrated with the so called Swab and Nifa9 Ijtima3i of Morocco.

See, prejudice. "Swab" is our own way of being polite. It doesn't mean we're being dumb hypocrites when we're being nice to each other and/or respectful of their personal space. In fact, we take this "being polite" thing a step further than what you might be experiencing in NJ; we "care" for each other. A complete stranger you meet on the street, this "swab" thing kicks in, and you, eagerly, give them a hand.

"Nifa9 Ijtima3i"... I will take a wild guess here and assume you mean that we don't do in public what we do in our own private space. If that is what you're getting at, I can think of a hundred examples of the same "Nifa9 Ijtima3i" going on within other cultures, including NJ's. You have to keep in mind that this is not something as simple as you're trying to make it out to be. It comes down to particulars, as in, particular cases and matters. Be more specific, and we'll provide feedback.

> I am also told that career wise.......................... .........not the work environment that would be named healthy and motivating.

We have work environments that are as healthy and motivating as they get, and we have working environments as unhealthy and uninspiring as they get. From my own experience, I only ever came across the former.

> I am told only weird stories about those narrow minded and full of issues people in Morocco

The US gets the most backlash for its narrow minded people. It doesn't mean I'm right in assuming that every person, group of people, town, city, state, are all nothing but a copy of a single narrow minded person.

> What freaks me out the most is the drama of social interactions, especially at work... here we barely take shit from anyone.

I bet all the bosses in all the US aren't unicorns. At work, either in Morocco or in the US, you'll take "shit" from your boss whenever he feels like giving you a hard time.

On a final note, given you study Clinical Psychology, I'm wondering why on earth would you worry so much about living in a new different environment, one that you relate to? Aren't you supposed to be (get ready for some prejudice of mine) all happy from the inside out and focused on your subjective well-being, rather than being worried about the views of those surrounding you?

Easy on me Qubit!! I was just sharing some of my concerns!
First of all those are not preconceived ideas. I just heard many weird stories so often from lots of Moroccans who moved back to Morocco and I wanted to know if it's that bad! You seemed like you got all defensive! I am Moroccan too and it's not my intention to denigrate my country and it's habitants! You were just talking about educated people and you forget that the majority of our people in Morocco are not that educated... many are full of self esteem issues that they don't keep for themselves. I never said here it's all perfect, but with firm laws and work courtesies, work life is much easier and less stressful ( not perfect).
What I meant by "limited" is the fact that I heard many complains of Moroccans from here who moved to Morocco, that people tend to get too personal and nosey about their personal lives and when you just prefer to stay discreet they label you as arrogant and distant...
What I meant when talking about personal freedom is that here no body gives a damn about what you're doing, you make your own decisions and take actions without people giving unasked for advices like in Morocco ( it's a form of being considerate I know, but I am told, they tend to get upset or start to criticize you when you don't take their opinion)
Nifa9 ijitima3i is the fact that you feel that you have to be pretend that you like someone and say things you wont do even when it comes to small insignificant stuff, which can lead to unnesessary drama when dealing with unreliable people espcially for improtant things.
Work environment, How many people failed to start up a business or had to leave work because of lack of professionalism? I am not saying here bosses are angels, but at least the majority of them are being professional in their interactions at work.

The reason I am worried is that ALL I heard are negative stories about living again in Morocco ( and God knows how many people I asked) so I wanted to have your opinions, thinking that maybe those I heard are subjective views! wa klitini a 5ouya or a5ti! :D

> you forget that the majority of our people in Morocco are not that educated..

Let me put it this way to you: The majority of people you will have to deal with, are actually educated. The rest, you shouldn't really worry about.

> many are full of self esteem issues that they don't keep for themselves.

That's an outrageous psychological assessment of people you haven't met or interacted with at all. Psychologically profiling a population based on second hand stories is absurd.

> What I meant when talking about personal freedom is that here no body gives a damn about what you're doing

No one really cares what you do here either. As long as you're not violating their own private space, no one will care. People who care about you (friends, family) sure will provide feedback on a regular basis, invasively at times yes, but they're not everyone, they're but those YOU surround yourself with.

> Work environment, How many people failed to start up a business or had to leave work because of lack of professionalism?

I get that's rhetorical, but do you, in fact, have any data/statistics to back this up? I sure am very interested to take a look at said data if you kindly care to provide it.

What I know for sure is that, start-ups have been very successful in this country the last decade. Young driven start-ups/businesses have actually rocketed the last few years despite the worldwide financial crisis.

And if you think we have it bad, work professionalism wise, I'll refer you to this very recent article:

http://www.tammycamp.com/2011/05/21/how-i-deal-with-sexual-discrimination-in-a-positive-way.html

and the discussion it steered, here:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2571874

A final note: I apologize if my input is coming off as defensive, or if the phrasing is not to your liking.

farid_h

<defunct>
Contributeur
Hey Pureminded, thanks for your reply. I live in NJ and planning to live and work in Rabat. we are from Casa but family moved from there and I would prefer to live with them ( main reason why I am moving back) I am told only weird stories about those narrow minded and full of issues people in Morocco so I am freaking out since am very social and can only fully connect with link minded people living the same experience which I think would make the transition overall more fun :)

Don't sweat it. Rabat is a modern city with very broad minded people. It's not very different from an average US or European town. You'll probably like it a lot. Sure, it's not the same, but not all too different either.

Warning: biased opinion! I've spent my youth in the 70ies and 80ies there, before moving to Germany and then to the US. :)

many are full of self esteem issues that they don't keep for themselves.

That's an outrageous psychological assessment of people you haven't met or interacted with at all. Psychologically profiling a population based on second hand stories is absurd.

You're addressing me like I am not from Morocco ! loll

And you 're using a defensive tone that seems weird to me.

I think you missed the point of this discussion, so let me re-explain myself: My aim is to correct or confirm ( in a rational, objective way) the stories I heard of Moroccans who went through the same experience I will be living Inshallah ( moving back to Morocco) hence the use of words like" I heard, I am told" if you read carefully what I wrote earlier ( instead of jumping into honestly vain conclusions and making me sound like a retarded, presumptuous b**** You would get what I am talking about instead of being all defensive to not say ridiculously emotional about one simple direct question I needed some answers for!

We all have the right to voice our opinions and I don't have to like yours or you to like mine!
I am here to get some answers not to get into a meaningless sterile debate .
I posted the same question on the French forum and had a very good answer that calmed my anxiety. Someone said that I should stop thinking too much and go experience things myself since we rarely experience the same thing the same way.

Thank you for your insights though and apologies if I came across as rude or inconsiderate but really all I wanted was some clear rational answers :D

Don't sweat it. Rabat is a modern city with very broad minded people. It's not very different from an average US or European town. You'll probably like it a lot. Sure, it's not the same, but not all too different either.

Warning: biased opinion! I've spent my youth in the 70ies and 80ies there, before moving to Germany and then to the US. :)

I couldn't agree more! Thanks a lot Farid. I am less obsessive about it now and actually very excited about living there again :)

Hey all,

you'll find more open minded moroccan people in morocco than in a foreign country.
just stick together with the right people ;)

I know this topic is kind of old by now, but since it managed to stir my curiosity, I can't help but ask two questions:

@agdidihlan: Would you mind updating us on your situation? Did you return to Morocco yet? Are things better or worse than your expectations?

And what happened to qubit? This person sounded really insightful, albeit a tiny bit defensive about Morocco. Did he leave the forum?

Late answer! I am actually coming back to the US... Too much to handle on the social level...and I don't think I have the energy or time for that :) but I love my country and my people.... just not the right environment for me at this point...

a year and few months so I gave the try enough time....
I noticed that I am a little too sensitive and that some Moroccans like to state their ( not asked for) opinion even if they are strangers...when you talk about personal space and respect for privacy they are like this 'dssara' is only found abroad.... and some lame sarcastic answers like that... it's their style at joking but It seems underlying some serious low esteem issues and hostility and I honestly don't need or want people to take their sh** out on me.
At work it was okay... but in social setting.. many are anticipating that you'd be looking at them down, like I came from the moon... and younger generation seems not respecting anything anymore... I didn't have any major negative experiences but just by observing... things didn't look as bright as I hoped.. so am done... vacations only!

Honey I LIVED those cliches... I am not saying Moroccans are as***les! I am one too!!!! I am just describing my personal experience that made me want to leave again. You can't deny that although abroad is not Heaven but we do have more peace of mind when it comes to interactions with people, so we can go on with my lives... Some Moroccans can be sooooooo full of it and take it out on anyone who'd respond.. I was that silly one who was responding at first but then decided to use humor and light up things till I leave again..

It's good to defend our country but dishonesty is not the way to go.
I lived half my life in Morocco and the other half in Canada and with the years, the gap is still getting bigger.
Cliches are not coming from nowhere...
Moroccan people are good people, sociable, generous, etc... but they have issues.
They ask too many personal questions and they tell you how to live your life (it sounds extreme, but it is relative to what I live in Canada). The social pressure in Morocco is always present and we have to deal with it.
The respect for women is nowhere to be found in comparison with the 80s.
I visit my country 2 to 3 times a year and it is always moving at a fast pace, full of opportunities and at the same time it is moving to fast for the level of education.
They should invest a lot more in the people, not on buildings of concrete...

It's good to defend our country but dishonesty is not the way to go.
I lived half my life in Morocco and the other half in Canada and with the years, the gap is still getting bigger.
Cliches are not coming from nowhere...
Moroccan people are good people, sociable, generous, etc... but they have issues.
They ask too many personal questions and they tell you how to live your life (it sounds extreme, but it is relative to what I live in Canada). The social pressure in Morocco is always present and we have to deal with it.
The respect for women is nowhere to be found in comparison with the 80s.
I visit my country 2 to 3 times a year and it is always moving at a fast pace, full of opportunities and at the same time it is moving to fast for the level of education.
They should invest a lot more in the people, not on buildings of concrete...

I couldnt agree more with the last two lines in particular.
It's fascinating how fast things are moving, but it doesn't seem to be helping people that much right now.
C'est à l'image du marocain finalement: tout dans le paraitre ...

Dearest,

Firstly, I understand your cri de coeur over life in Morocco and living with Moroccans in Morocco. I sympathize with you there. However, I am assuming you were unhappy in US and wanted to move/live in Morocco to be happy and more.... Right? now, you're unhappy living in Morocco, too.... Now what? go back to US where you were unhappy in the first place?...... I sense a lot of hard work ahead of you, to do..... But, best wishes.

Its been few years since last time anybody comment o this and I am not sure on how to open a new thread so hopefully, someone read and respond if can help,
I am moving to Morocco and plan to ship all my items. I read online I can import one personal car free of duty see below:
https://usgshipping.com/shipping-to...-to-north-africa/shipping-to-morocco-from-usa

I also need help having items cleared when the container reaches to Morocco. Anyone here knows a reliable customs broker who knows about teh rules please DM me.
Thank you