I learned a new word today. what about you ? share it !

• Initiateur de la discussion AncienMembre
  • Date de début
Hi

Today, I've learned that the word "Eventually" does not mean "Eventuellement" as a francophone might think instinctivly ! I'm shocked, beause I've always thought so ! I've always used it as "Eventuellement" god damn it ! lol

It actually means something like "Finally" !

Explanation here :

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/67063/eventually-vs-finally

I wonder how many confusions and misunderstanding I might have caused because of that haha

PS : It's like "Actually" whish does not mean "Actuellement" ... I'll let you investigate about it if you don't know the answer huhu

This is an attempt to resurect our good-old and ill-treated Board in English.
Shamefully thrown away from the Bladi Froms main page :pleurs: And cause i'm bored.

Actually, means... As a matter of fact, in fact... etc donc la traduction française est En fait...

désolé j'ai pas réalisé que ça date de 2015:D

This Morning I learned summary, hires and updates.. In context please

I start reading a text every morning before leaving bed..
D'avance merci pour les corrections de grammaire

Bien mais tu fais du mot à mot.... En fait tu dis je commence à lire un texte tout les matins avant de quitter lit.

Every morning, before getting out of bed, I start my day by reading a text (in English).

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
Dernière modification par un modérateur:
Pourquoi non, c'est faux ce que j'ai écrit?

A priori, il vit en France et ici, on apprends un anglais british. Or, learnt est bien plus utilisé au UK que learned. C'est tout.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/learnt-vs-learned
J’ai pas dis que c t faux j’ai dis NON parce que j’estime (humblement) que tu dois tout dire. Que les deux sont correctes mais effectivement learnt est plus utilisé par les UK. Mais s’il ecrit LEARNED meme en UK ils ne peuvent pas le corriger. C tout

Hibou57

Comme-même (tm)
VIB
Can I say a reference a special case of a guide? The same with note: can I say a note is a special case of a guide?

I’m seeking a better word than “document” which I feel is too broad or too ambiguous.

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
Can I say a reference a special case of a guide? The same with note: can I say a note is a special case of a guide?

I’m seeking a better word than “document” which I feel is too broad or too ambiguous.

Not sure to get what you mean.

Are you looking for a more accurate word for "guide"?

Manual? Instructions?

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
It was not today, but over the last two months, I've learned that "leg" does not only means "Jambe". It can also mean "Etape".

In the airline industry, the "first leg of a flight" refers to the first segment of an itinerary that includes a stop over in a connecting city/airport.

:intello:

Ebion

Ça a l'air que je suis l'esclave da partida
VIB
It was not today, but over the last two months, I've learned that "leg" does not only means "Jambe". It can also mean "Etape".

In the airline industry, the "first leg of a flight" refers to the first segment of an itinerary that includes a stop over in a connecting city/airport.

:intello:

How interesting! I did not know it! :)

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
The expression : Calling the shots

I've heard it and read it many times and in many situations without ever really wrapping my mind around it ^^

But it basically means : prendre la decision final. The one who calls the shot is the one who decides.

Pretty simple, I dont know why I've just figured that out lol

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
The expression : Calling the shots

I've heard it and read it many times and in many situations without ever really wrapping my mind around it ^^

But it basically means : prendre la decision final. The one who calls the shot is the one who decides.

Pretty simple, I dont know why I've just figured that out lol

Maybe because in your mother language, it litterally doesn't refer to anything.

Without context, what is a shot ? Then, what is calling this stuff?

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
Maybe because in your mother language, it litterally doesn't refer to anything.

Without context, what is a shot ? Then, what is calling this stuff?

True, it doesn't mean much if you translate it literally, but withing a context, it kinda makes sens :)

A shot is "un tire" or "un coup" like in "un coup de feu" ou bien "un essai" like in "you have 3 shots" - "tu as 3 essays

The one who calls the shot then is the one who decides in the end

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
True, it doesn't mean much if you translate it literally, but withing a context, it kinda makes sens :)

A shot is "un tire" or "un coup" like in "un coup de feu" ou bien "un essai" like in "you have 3 shots" - "tu as 3 essays

The one who calls the shot then is the one who decides in the end

a shot is also a glass of strong alcohol

Besides, between a try and a gun's hit, there's room..