Us english vs gb english: how should one decide which one to use?

Hibou57

Comme-même (tm)
VIB
The topic is in the title.

Additionally …

Personally, I tend to prefer “colour” over “color”, as an example, but it seems “color” is far more widely used. Should I avoid being pedantic favouring GB English? Is US English the lingua franca?

At school, did you learn US English or GB English?

Ebion

Ça a l'air que je suis l'esclave da partida
VIB

Additionally …

Personally, I tend to prefer “colour” over “color”, as an example, but it seems “color” is far more widely used. Should I avoid being pedantic favouring GB English? Is US English the lingua franca?

Thanks for ignoring many interesting varieties of English, such as those of Ireland, Scotland, Canada, Australia, Singapore, and more! :joueur:

farid_h

<defunct>
Contributeur
Let's see it this way: after the Brexit, what's the point for Europeans to stick to the British variant of English? While UK-English is the Real Mccoy, it hurts my eyes to read things like 'colour', 'honour'... or watch them drive on the wrong side of the road. But that's just me. Others think it's charming, classy, etc.albeit in a quirky way, juste like Olde English in the King James Bible, Shakespeare ... must appear to us today: quaint, but charming.

Additionally …

I learnt GB English at school
If you speak GB English with an American he will understand... he should do

Additionally …

Having spent over 30 years in both the UK and the US, I can tell you that the US accepts UK spelling rules, but that in the UK they will frown at US spelling rules.

TheNeuroGirl

Le temps sépare plus qu’il ne répare.
VIB

Additionally …

Favoring or favouring? :') If you like GB English, just go for it! It's not pedantic, it just tells more about who you are and the choices you make :)
I chose GB english and my boss who speaks US english said I had a "lovely accent". Don't be afraid to make a statement ;) If people around you don't like it, then so be it! And you'll have less issues with the writing part as someone else previously put it :)