WikiLeaks: Canadian government believed multiculturalism policy could hurt terrorism

OTTAWA — Canadian multiculturalism policies have greatly shaped anti-terrorism and anti-radicalization efforts, but government officials believed it may be hurting them as well, according to a cable released by WikiLeaks.

The June 2008 cable from a U.S. official to other departments in that country said Canadian officials believed the government may have gone too far in encouraging diversity — the Canadian "mosaic" — rather than integration — the American "melting pot."

"Government representatives have commented that they felt people around the world understood what it meant to be 'American,' but that Canada lacked a similar sense of identity, making it more difficult to create a feeling of one unified society in Canada — and hence creating greater susceptibility to radicalization," reads the cable, signed by the deputy chief of the U.S. mission in Canada, Terry Breese.

The diplomatic cable, sent to the State Department, the Central Intelligence Agency and Homeland Security, also cast doubt on the success of Canada's efforts to counter radicalization.

The cable said the children of non-European immigrants may be more prone to radicalize than their parents if they don't "buy into a Canadian identity."

"The jury is still out on whether Canada's escape so far from any terrorist attacks or a serious problem with radicalization of Muslim communities is due to proactive and concerted efforts by Canadian agencies and NGOs, or despite them," the cable said.

"One way or another, Canada will never have the luxury of relaxing its counter-radicalization efforts abroad or at home, at least for the foreseeable future."

The cable is one of thousands that the whistleblower website WikiLeaks posted online Friday and titled "Canada confronts radicalization abroad and at home."

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney's office declined to comment on the leak itself, but said in an email: "Canada is internationally recognized as having an open and generous immigration and refugee system while, at the same time, being one of the most diverse and peaceful nations in the world."

However, it added that for this to continue "it is important that immigrants and refugees continue to integrate and participate in Canadian society."

The minister's office said the government "has taken several steps in this regard," and pointed out how it introduced a new citizenship guide that outlines responsibilities expected of new Canadians.

Canada's strategy focused on avoiding an "us versus them approach," the leaked cable said, and instead focused on engaging the Muslim community at a local level at home and abroad. Programs were generally not targeted directly at Muslims, the cable said, but more generally at "communities of concern."

"Many Canadian programs do not even mention 'Islam' or 'Muslim' specifically, but rather rely on the language of 'diversity' and 'inclusion,' " the confidential cable said.

Responsibility for the programs was spread across a number of federal departments — the Department of Foreign Affairs, Citizenship and Immigration, Canadian Heritage and Public Safety.

The cable quoted a Privy Council Office analyst as saying that Public Safety had limited success in developing a "whole-of-government" strategy. A Canadian Security Intelligence Service officer told the American embassy that Public Safety "needs to do more" in relation to the department's ability to co-ordinate the RCMP and CSIS.

Don't you know that the Millenium Plot was organized and planned in Canada.
This country should review its immigration/security policies asap. The most flagrant thing ottawa should fix is stamping/controlling passports and passengers when they're leaving the country because if things don't change loads of potentially harmful people can move freely with canadian documents.

Don't you know that the Millenium Plot was organized and planned in Canada.
This country should review its immigration/security policies asap. The most flagrant thing ottawa should fix is stamping/controlling passports and passengers when they're leaving the country because if things don't change loads of potentially harmful people can move freely with canadian documents.

What this country should do above all is avoid aligning itself to right wing radical nuts in Washington; Canada was known for being a country and nation of peace, in the past they were often asked to broker peace deals or intermediate between conflicting entities of all kind in the past, now their hawkish attitude is just making us a real target of terrorism from abroad and even home grown one.
I sure don't wanna be blown up in metro one day because of their stupid and completely worthless change of approach in regrads to conflicts around the world, especially the Muslim world; And I think they have a sort of religious agenda but they sure cannot show that in the broad daylight because people here simply won't accept it.

What this country should do above all is avoid aligning itself to right wing radical nuts in Washington; Canada was known for being a country and nation of peace, in the past they were often asked to broker peace deals or intermediate between conflicting entities of all kind in the past, now their hawkish attitude is just making us a real target of terrorism from abroad and even home grown one.
I sure don't wanna be blown up in metro one day because of their stupid and completely worthless change of approach in regrads to conflicts around the world, especially the Muslim world; And I think they have a sort of religious agenda but they sure cannot show that in the broad daylight because people here simply won't accept it.

Thanks for the post. We finally get to discuss serious Canadian business and politics in this forum. I was death bored by the endless immigration topics.
Harper is a right wing extremist, he and his party are exactly like the tea party movement south in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if he stepped back from the actual official multiculturalism policy which was first adopted by the liberals. I hope that the merger betwen the NDP and Liberal party materializes so that he starts thinking twice before he decides any change of policy.

Thanks for the post. We finally get to discuss serious Canadian business and politics in this forum. I was death bored by the endless immigration topics.
Harper is a right wing extremist, he and his party are exactly like the tea party movement south in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if he stepped back from the actual official multiculturalism policy which was first adopted by the liberals. I hope that the merger betwen the NDP and Liberal party materializes so that he starts thinking twice before he decides any change of policy.

Harper is a dirty evangelical freak....so do not expect good things from him.

He support Israel for religious purposes.

I think that what makes him win is that he "thinks twice" all the time, he is an extremist but he is aware of his political environment and so he uses a centrist rethoric to back his religious agenda (guns, gay ban, muslims in canada, Isreal, putting forward the so called military history of Canada...etc).
he is smart and we got to give him that, but that doesn't make him less of fanatic desguised in calm, cold politician!

I think that what makes him win is that he "thinks twice" all the time, he is an extremist but he is aware of his political environment and so he uses a centrist rethoric to back his religious agenda (guns, gay ban, muslims in canada, Isreal, putting forward the so called military history of Canada...etc).
he is smart and we got to give him that, but that doesn't make him less of fanatic desguised in calm, cold politician!

Sure he uses sneaky ways to disguise his true face, but sometimes he can't hide it. Who would have imagined the pacifist Canada would oppose anti global warming measures.
I think English Canada gave up the liberals and elected him instead just to give Quebec the finger, to tell Quebeckers they r not the only province that matters in Canada. Once Quebeckers abandon sovereignty dreams, Canadians would lose a big incentive to elect rednecks like Harper again.

Sure he uses sneaky ways to disguise his true face, but sometimes he can't hide it. Who would have imagined the pacifist Canada would oppose anti global warming measures.
I think English Canada gave up the liberals and elected him instead just to give Quebec the finger, to tell Quebeckers they r not the only province that matters in Canada. Once Quebeckers abandon sovereignty dreams, Canadians would lose a big incentive to elect rednecks like Harper again.

probably, although I rather think that liberals lost because they don't have a leader, Paul Martin was the last "electable" liberal, Ignatieff looks shallow and Rae is not charismatic.
Also people seem to trust Harper, it's mostly about him as a reassuing figure in these troubled times.
I personnaly would vote for him if not of his neocon agenda

Gigi087

Don GIGI
You're perfectly right bro !

He's a Christian extremist but he knows Canadians are not Americans so he plays the role as the Canadian joker.

I personally know and appreciate some local politicans here in BC and Ontario, though the only thing that hinders them from going up in grade in their parties and therefore being someday PM of Canada is BILINGUALISM! People here don't even know whats thanks in french. I hope QC will go alone so we can finally see a better CANADA.

I personally know and appreciate some local politicans here in BC and Ontario, though the only thing that hinders them from going up in grade in their parties and therefore being someday PM of Canada is BILINGUALISM! People here don't even know whats thanks in french. I hope QC will go alone so we can finally see a better CANADA.

Are you nuts? I don't wanna wake up one day to find myself living in a country Called Quebec. I came to Canada, and I plan on keeping it that way.

Are you nuts? I don't wanna wake up one day to find myself living in a country Called Quebec. I came to Canada, and I plan on keeping it that way.

Well I suppose that you live in QC, and when you made your mind up to come to Canada you chose qc as a primary destination. Listen QC is waay different than other provinces, I know a plenty of companies that invest throughout Canada but QC! Doing business there is tough even compared to our beloved Morocco :) I personally dont give a **** to that province, though I support the idea of their independance cuz' Canada doesn't need stubborn french mercenaries.

Well I suppose that you live in QC, and when you made your mind up to come to Canada you chose qc as a primary destination. Listen QC is waay different than other provinces, I know a plenty of companies that invest throughout Canada but QC! Doing business there is tough even compared to our beloved Morocco :) I personally dont give a **** to that province, though I support the idea of their independance cuz' Canada doesn't need stubborn french mercenaries.

Quebec is the only left door for Moroccans to get into Canada after the gradual shut down of the federal stream. Putting politics aside, Quebec part of Canada allows Moroccans to get their PR and move anywhere in the country.

Quebec is the only left door for Moroccans to get into Canada after the gradual shut down of the federal stream. Putting politics aside, Quebec part of Canada allows Moroccans to get their PR and move anywhere in the country.

Nope buddy anyone who has strong qualifications is eligible for immigration to english-speaking Canada, and frankly only few Moroccans meet those criteria + strong english due to a persistent French influence.
I got my PR (my parents actually) and I came directly to english-speaking Canada without putting my feet on qc soil because I know there are NO or let's say few opportunities over there.

Let's compare an indian surgeon who immigrates to Vancouver or Toronto vs. a moroccan surgeon who immigrates to Montreal :) Both are well known for their excellence but their choice of where to settle is decisive.

Sorry again but regarding QC I'd say the opposite of LIVERPOOL'S ANTHEM: "YOU'LL ALWAYS WALK ALONE"