Are you British or Moroccan?

If you are born in morocco and brought up in the uk and an English person enquires about your nationality, do you say English or Moroccan?
Thoughts, opinions?

Essera

Let's go to Florida..
It's complicated! I would say that I come originally from Morocco, and that I brought up in UK.. it looks simple.. but i never feel confortable with that kind of questions..

Sallyna

Mama Mia
Moroccan-American, this is what I say and even in Moroccan's Airport, I present my American passport with my Moroccan ID, it means, I'm Moroccan first, before I became American:)

It's complicated! I would say that I come originally from Morocco, and that I brought up in UK.. it looks simple.. but i never feel confortable with that kind of questions..

u should feel comfortable about that because sharing two nationalities isn't given to anyone . You have the priviledge of coming from two beautiful countries with ancestral cultures and traditions so you should be proud to be different...right ?
^_^

TiwOtchi

Ok Edge.. Play the blues!
VIB
I left Morocco when I was 29... so even if I get another nationality I will always be, and feel Moroccan. I'd use the one only to travel to places where moroccans need Visas.

If you are born in morocco and brought up in the uk and an English person enquires about your nationality, do you say English or Moroccan?
Thoughts, opinions?

I say Moroccan, cause I consider myself Moroccan from Morocco, then I consider myself Arabian, then I consider myself a wannabe a Balck guy (lol), ( that's what my friends call me for liking black girls so much), and then I consider myself American.(lol)

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
Thoughts, opinions?

Well, it's not complicated.
You're an englishman in England and moroccan in Morocco.

You're welcome. :)

jeunemusulmane

Allah o Akbar.
I feel more Morrocan than Belgian even if i was born & i live in Belgium.
Probably because in Belgium we don't have that patriotism we can find in other countries (ex: US & France)

Actually here we are seen especially in relation to our origin rather than our nationality.
For example if a black person says i'm Belgian everybody's gonna be like it's not possible because you're black!

So I consider myself more like a Moroccan because it's my origins but also because "pure" Belgian people'll never see me as a Belgian,... :p

So what is a typical belgian's reaction when you tell them that you were born and raised in Belgium but consider yourself Moroccan. Do they swallow it casually? Anticipate you'll one day go back to morocco?

The general consensus here in England is that once you get your British passport then you are expected to be a patriotic Brit and from my experience English people find it annoying when you keep 'bragging' on about morocco this, morocco that! And it's not long before the daggers come out.

The general consensus here in England is that once you get your British passport then you are expected to be a patriotic Brit and from my experience English people find it annoying when you keep 'bragging' on about morocco this, morocco that! And it's not long before the daggers come out.

But excuse me, to deny people the right to acknowledge their ethnicities is abusive and racist. And when [W]e say we are Moroccans, we refer to our ethnicity and not ligeance.

So if we had a scenario where Britain declares war on morocco or an alliance with its foes do you stick to your 'legiance'?
Because this is going to be their next question without a doubt.

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
But excuse me, to deny people the right to acknowledge their ethnicities is abusive and racist. And when [W]e say we are Moroccans, we refer to our ethnicity and not ligeance.

Your face is the best aknowledgment! :D
I think it's good to go beyond ethnicity and share the same homeland.

myousra

swim/bike/run
even if you were born in the Uk, the fact that your parents are immigrants makes you an outsider..

im not sure if its the case really over there, but thats how i feel we are treated in canada.. We are Canadians when we accomplish something brilliant but we are strangers when we dont

I dont feel like im moroccan especially when i go visit [only because morocco has changed, and i wasnt there to live that change, so i feel like im holding onto some idealized image of coutry that no longer exists]..and that scares me, when you become a stranger in your homeland..where else can you go?

futureconomist

Free Palestine!
I always say my true nationality when other people ask me. But when it is asked on an application form, I tick the 'Uk citizen' box or write 'British' next to 'nationality'.

Thoughts, opinions?

A nationality is defined by your documentation... not by where you grew up... You may be a british national at heart, but not a british citizen.

Personally i am both :D British citizen, and moroccan citizen... i was born outside the UK went to school there and now live in Morocco... I consider myself a Moroccan with a british (amongst other citizenships)