Gross english (thumbs down)

Ebion

Ça a l'air que je suis l'esclave da partida
VIB
At the book store, I was looking for some guide to enhance my English and I came across a small one which looked moderately helpful. And it was affordable. Problem : the author says he wants to teach English by joking. It is not bad in itself to bring in some humor into teaching, but as I peered into the book, I realized that the jokes were distasteful, focussing on sexual and base activities and language, nothing too refined. In addition, it makes use of quotes of contemporary series and movies. It’s not a bad idea, but since I hate almost all series, I was not happy. And the jokes were not very funny, they were even annoying. You know when some uncool guy wants so much to be funny that he ends up being the opposite and people around find him unbearable.

So I left the book behind and I spared my money.

Ebion

VIB
And, what are we supposed to comment !?? That you did the right thing !??

Suuuuure you did, it was such a nice idea to drop it out.

WELL DONE DUUUUDE !!! CONGRATS !!! :D

Good grief, I just wanted to revive this apathetic English forum.

You could tell your own anecdotes about learning English and humor or unhelpful and off-putting methods.

I don’t need pats on my back, but thanks anyway. :joueur:

A

AncienMembre

Non connecté
Why don't you buy novels non-fiction books instead of useless books about jokes? They don't even worth a glance, even a glance is too much time given for such crap! :p

Ebion

VIB
Why don't you buy novels non-fiction books instead of useless books about jokes? They don't even worth a glance, even a glance is too much time given for such crap! :p

I do read some books and papers in English, but guides are good for knowing my blind spots consciously. For instance I may not always notice an uncommon false cognate upon reading it in a text.